Thursday, March 8, 2012

orphans (random thoughts)

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about children, and orphans specifically.  This adoption process has brought up so many questions and additional areas of concern in my heart for kids in crisis situations.  I have started a journal of letters to and prayers for our child, and I can't help but wonder what circumstances our child is in right now.  What types of suffering has our little one endured already?  I long to see a picture and have a connection of some sort...to be able to send care packages and photos and hear stories from the adoption staff.  I'm itching for more.  

And when thinking about this one child (or maybe 2 children!), it leads me to the millions of other children who are orphans, or have parents but are suffering in poverty or under oppressive military rebels such as Joseph Kony.  The problems are heartbreaking and overwhelming!  How can I possibly make a difference, in the face so much suffering?

I've been also reading the Hunger Games series and The Connected Child this week, and all of those books have caused me considerable angst regarding abuse and injustice toward children.  My heart is full and aching.  

This video has gone viral, according to whatever morning news program I watched this morning.  It is from the Invisible Children folks for Kony 2012:  


Our church has been planning a conference on orphan care as well.  The more4orphans summit will take place this weekend (March 9-10) at Vineyard Columbus, and will cover many topics related to foster care, adoption, child sponsorship, as well as how we as individuals can get involved in helping orphans and children worldwide, right here and right now.  I'm really excited and hope many show up!  (here's the brochure for more info, too!)

Between things like Kony 2012 project and the orphan summit, I hope we can all find ways to get involved and make a difference for children in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment