Monday, March 12, 2012

encouragement...discouragement...


Children in Sierra Leone
What a beautiful weekend!  I spent Friday evening, and most of the day on Saturday at the Vineyard for the More4Orphans summit.  It was so encouraging to hear from people engaged in caring for children around the world, fostering and adopting children, both internationally and domestically.  There were seminars on all sorts of adoptions, which were really helpful (there were about 7 I wanted to attend, but I only had time for 2!).   


(Side note:  A couple great ways to get involved is through child sponsorships, though organizations like Eyes Wide Open, or through donating toward building an orphanage in Sierra Leone through Touch the Nations.)


I then came home to a beautiful sunny afternoon, which I spent out in my yard with my dog.  We (and by “we” I guess I mean just me – Calvin wasn’t really that helpful) cut down some old bushes and cleaned up ornamental grass that’s looking pretty scraggly.  I loved seeing my little spring flowers pushing their way out of the ground – tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils.  I have several little crocuses in bloom.  It makes my heart sing to see these little flowers growing and blooming.   Spring is such a joy. 


On Sunday, I took Calvin over to see my nieces and nephew.  My dad had sent me some more crocus bulbs and some other things home with my brother from their recent visit, so I went to collect those things.  I thought it’d be a good opportunity to have Calvin play with the kids too.  I haven't been sure about how the dog would behave with children; I really want our kids to get along with him and vice-versa.  He’s our first adoption of sorts, and in some ways that process helped provide some of the catalyst to move forward in our child adoption process.  And to my delight, he did great with the kids!   The girls took turns leading him around the yard and playing with him with his squeaky toy, and Ben was ready with his squirt gun in case Calvin misbehaved.  It was lots of fun.  


Later in the afternoon, I went home thought it’d be a good idea to get started on our taxes.  I’ve been hoping for a refund to help us fund our homestudy and early adoption expenses.  Much to my chagrin, it looks like we will owe…and a rather hefty sum.  I was so disheartened, almost to tears.  We have the money in savings to cover the tax bill, but it feels like a huge setback in our fundraising process.   This chunk of money that I wanted to put toward bringing our child home will now be heading to the IRS.  Groan.  


After experiencing the mountain top of the orphan summit, the beautiful weekend weather, and sweet family time, how quickly I crashed down into the valley of despair.  I read this verse this evening, though (Malachi 3:10):  "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it."  That is my prayer...for more blessings than we can store...and for the grace to trust for that kind of provision.   

No comments:

Post a Comment